As part of ASAP’s 2014 4th Annual Asheville CSA Fair planned for March 13, Denise Barratt will conduct a cooking demonstration. Denise is a registered dietitian and nutritionist with Health Concepts Nutrition Therapy and Vine Ripe Home Grown Nutrition. Want a sneak peek as to what she will be cooking at the CSA Fair? Take a look at the recipe below, and try it at home!
- 1 cup of your choice of roasted beets, potatoes and sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 ½ ounces finely shredded hard local cheese
- 2 bunches of kale, washed, stemmed and sliced crosswise
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- To roast vegetables, cut your choice of beets, potatoes and sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes and toss with olive oil and salt.
- Place on cookie sheet and roast at 425 degrees until vegetables start to get tender and caramelize.
- Take out of oven and let cool.
- Add kale to a bowl.
- To make a dressing, in a separate smaller bowl mix lemon juice, olive oil, honey, salt, garlic and red pepper together.
- Add to kale and toss thoroughly. Lightly toss in roasted vegetables, pecans and cheese.
- Makes 8 servings. 168 calories, 9 grams fat (2 grams saturated fat), 19 grams carbohydrates and 8 grams protein.